Building on over five years of implementation experience with the client, Herren applied a comprehensive process optimization approach to further reduce case backlog, balance future workforce requirements, and deliver results that reduced the transition period from the U.S. Departments of Defense to Veterans Affairs for service members and their families.
Herren’s improvement approach – Enable, Build, Implement, Sustain – combined increased staff engagement with the use of continuous improvement best practices and tools within a PDSA framework
- Mapped site current process, performed takt time, and conducted comprehensive demand-based staffing analyses
- Standardized and streamlined the future state medical evaluation board process, for efficiency and legal compliance
- Deployed a site-level “rolling wave” – lessons learned between waves provided improvements to the standardized process and tools.
- Coached implementation stakeholders and monitored site performance to identify and address performance metrics, issues and defects
The result was an enterprise-wide solution that increased case throughput and completion, balanced the site workforce to the site workload with a marked reduction of case processing cycle times.
- Standardized disparate processes across 30 geographically disparate facilities.
- Productivity Average 20% Increase
- Cycle Time Average 16% Reduction
- Rework Average 47% Reduction
- Cost Avoidance $8,000,000 Annually
Public-sector executives need expert partners who bring complexity into focus with actionable insights – and deliver maximum value. Herren has been helping leaders make better decisions since 1989. We optimize investments, manage transformational change, and shake up the status quo in our determination to maximize the value of every dollar spent. Our value-driven approach is built on everyday collaboration with clients and business partners. We work side by side with leaders and make their mission, our mission. To learn more about Herren Associates, please visit us at www.jlha.com.